The French Committee for Yad Vashem
The French Committee for Yad Vashem (Comité français pour Yad Vashem) is a non-profit organization based in France that was founded in 1989. It was established to support the efforts of Yad Vashem, the World Holocaust Remembrance Center in Jerusalem, in its mission to preserve the memory of the Holocaust and honor its victims and survivors. The organization is composed of French Jews and non-Jews who are committed to promoting Holocaust education, research, and commemoration in France.
The primary aim of the French Committee for Yad Vashem is to promote Holocaust education, research, and commemoration in France. The organization seeks to raise awareness about the Holocaust and its lasting impact on society, particularly in France where the Jewish community has a long and rich history. It also aims to strengthen ties between France and Israel and to foster greater understanding and cooperation between Jews and non-Jews in France.
The French Committee for Yad Vashem has undertaken a range of initiatives and activities in support of its mission.
- The Garden of the Righteous: The French Committee for Yad Vashem is responsible for creating and maintaining the Garden of the Righteous at the Shoah Memorial in Paris. The garden is a tribute to non-Jewish individuals who risked their lives to save Jews during the Holocaust.
- Annual events: The organization holds an annual ceremony to honor the memory of the Righteous Among the Nations and the victims and survivors of the Holocaust. These events include memorial services, candle-lighting ceremonies, and public lectures by Holocaust survivors and experts. The organization also raises funds to support the work of Yad Vashem in preserving the memory of the Holocaust. It solicits donations from individuals, foundations, and corporations, and organizes fundraising events to support its activities.
- Educational programs: The French Committee for Yad Vashem offers a range of educational programs to help teachers and students learn about the Holocaust and its lessons for today. These programs include teacher training seminars, study trips to Yad Vashem in Jerusalem, and workshops for students.
- Publications: The organization publishes books and other educational materials on the Holocaust, including the stories of the Righteous Among the Nations.
- Outreach: The French Committee for Yad Vashem works to raise awareness of the Holocaust and its lessons through outreach activities, such as speaking engagements and partnerships with other organizations.
- Supporting research: The organization supports research into the Holocaust and its impact on French society. It provides grants and scholarships to researchers, and sponsors conferences and seminars on Holocaust-related topics.
- Building bridges: The organization works to build bridges between France and Israel, and to foster greater understanding and cooperation between Jews and non-Jews in France. It organizes cultural exchanges, conferences, and other initiatives to promote dialogue and mutual respect.
Overall, the French Committee for Yad Vashem plays an important role in promoting Holocaust education and remembrance in France and honoring the memory of those who risked their lives to save Jews during the Holocaust.