The King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz International Centre for Interreligious and Intercultural Dialogue (KAICIID)
KAICIID was born in 2012 from a vision of interfaith cooperation and peace, at a time when this was sorely needed. Over a seven-year negotiation and development process, KAICIID’s mandate and structure were designed to foster dialogue among people of different faiths and cultures to overcome animosities, reduce fear and instil mutual respect. Leaders from Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Jewish and Muslim religious traditions, and the governments of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Republic of Austria, the Kingdom of Spain and the Holy See (as founding observers) joined together to make the vision of KAICIID a reality.
The International Dialogue Centre (KAICIID) seeks to unite religious leaders and political decision-makers to develop and implement multilateral social cohesion-building and conflict-resolution initiatives. KAICIID supports experts, trainees and organizations working in this area through capacity-building programs, workshops, training and partnerships.
- Interreligious Dialogue: KAICIID facilitates dialogue and exchanges among religious leaders, scholars, and practitioners from different faith traditions. It organizes conferences, seminars, and workshops that bring together individuals from diverse religious backgrounds to engage in discussions on various topics, including religious tolerance, peacebuilding, and shared values.
- Capacity Building: The center focuses on building the capacity of religious leaders and institutions to promote dialogue and understanding within their communities. It provides training programs, workshops, and educational resources aimed at equipping religious leaders with the skills and knowledge necessary to engage in interreligious dialogue effectively.
- Interreligious Education: KAICIID emphasizes the importance of interreligious education as a means to foster understanding and respect among individuals of different religions. It supports the development of educational materials, curricula, and programs that promote interfaith literacy and dialogue in schools, universities, and religious institutions.
- Research and Publications: The centre conducts research and produces publications that contribute to the field of interreligious dialogue. It publishes reports, studies, and scholarly articles that explore various aspects of interreligious and intercultural relations, religious diversity, and social cohesion.
- Peacebuilding and Conflict Resolution: KAICIID engages in projects and initiatives focused on peacebuilding and conflict resolution. It collaborates with local communities, religious leaders, and organizations to address conflicts and promote peaceful coexistence through dialogue and understanding.
- Youth Engagement: Recognizing the importance of engaging young people in interreligious dialogue, KAICIID develops programs and initiatives specifically targeting youth. These efforts aim to empower young individuals to become active participants in promoting dialogue, tolerance, and social harmony.
- Networks and Partnerships: KAICIID actively collaborates with governments, religious organizations, NGOs, and civil society groups to strengthen its impact and reach. It forms partnerships with various stakeholders to support and implement joint initiatives that promote interreligious and intercultural dialogue at regional and international levels.