The WIZO Culture Foundation
The WIZO Culture Foundation aims to strengthen Jewish awareness in the Netherlands by organising educational and socio-cultural events with a Jewish character. Anyone with an interest in Jewish culture is welcome.
The WIZO Culture Foundation is an initiative of the WIZO Netherlands Association. The main activity of WIZO Culture is organising literary-cultural events, such as the WIZO Literature Prize (since 2011). Readers united in reading clubs read, discuss and evaluate six books by Jewish and/or Israeli writers selected and nominated by WIZO Literature Prize Committee each year. Each year, WIZO Culture awards the WIZO Literature Prize at a special meeting.
WIZO (Women’s International Zionist Organization) is a global non-profit organization that works to empower women and promote Jewish education, culture, and welfare.
Stichting WIZO Cultuur hosts a variety of educational and socio-cultural events with a Jewish character, aimed at promoting Jewish awareness and strengthening the Jewish community in the Netherlands. Some examples of events they have organized in the past include:
- Lectures and seminars on Jewish history, traditions, and culture.
- Jewish film screenings and discussions.
- Art exhibitions featuring works by Jewish artists or with Jewish themes.
- Jewish music concerts and performances.
- Cultural excursions to Jewish heritage sites in the Netherlands or abroad.
- Jewish holiday celebrations, such as Passover seders, Hanukkah parties, and Purim carnivals.
- Workshops and classes on Jewish cooking, dance, or crafts.
The foundation welcomes anyone with an interest in Jewish culture and heritage to attend their events, regardless of their background or faith. By providing a space for people to come together and celebrate Jewish traditions and culture, Stichting WIZO Cultuur aims to promote understanding and appreciation of Jewish heritage and foster a sense of community among people with shared interests.